Montréal, June 18, 2021 — When he saw several zeros appear on the screen of the Loto-Québec self-serve ticket checker, Denis Gagné’s reaction was to run out of the pharmacy with his Québec Max ticket in hand to go call his sister. The Saguenay–Lac-Saint-Jean man, who was overcome with emotion, wanted to double-check that he’d indeed won $1,000,000 in the May 28 draw.
- Lottery game: Québec Max
- Prize: $1,000,000
- Category: Additional prize
- Draw date: May 28, 2021
- Winner’s place of residence: Saguenay–Lac-Saint-Jean
- Retailer: Boni-Soir (1360 Boulevard Saint-Paul, Chicoutimi borough, Saguenay)
The retailer will receive a 1% commission of $10,000.
- Denis loves playing draw-based lottery games. Every week, he makes sure to buy a “lotto pack” that includes Québec Max plays.
- His initial reaction to finding out that he was a newly minted millionaire was to call up his sister and make sure that the number of zeros he counted when he checked his ticket was right.
- Denis, who was perplexed at the time, went to a lottery kiosk to get his ticket validated. He immediately informed the attendant that he thought he’d won a major prize.
- The attendant cried out when she saw $1,000,000 pop up on-screen. The ten or so people who were waiting in line behind Denis began to applaud.
- Denis says he wants to take some time to think about how he’ll spend his winnings—but is already thinking of buying a new home.
- One thing’s for sure: the winner loves his job and intends to keep working!
COVID-19: How to claim a prize
As part of the collective effort to stop the spread of COVID-19 and to protect the health and safety of its customers and employees, Loto-Québec’s prize claim offices in Montréal and Quebec City are open by appointment only to ticket holders who’ve won a prize of $5,000 or more. For this reason, players who’ve won such a prize should contact Loto-Québec’s customer service team. Under the current circumstances, the safest and most efficient way to claim a prize is still by mail. For more information on prize payment terms and conditions, please visit lotoquebec.com.
Loto-Québec’s mission is to responsibly and efficiently manage games of chance in a controlled and measured fashion in the interest of all Quebecers. Entertainment is at the heart of its activities. Between January 1 and June 13, 2021, Loto-Québec paid out 66 prizes of $1,000,000 or more to winners. The Gagnant à vie and Grande Vie lotteries have provided 12 lucky winners with a lifetime annuity. Major prize winners are listed on the Winners page of the Lotteries website.