Montréal, April 21, 2022 — Simon Letiec, who lives in the Capitale-Nationale region, took home the top prize of $1,000 a week for life after he uncovered three VIE symbols in the same game on his $30 limited-edition Gagnant à vie scratch ticket on April 1. It was hard for the lucky winner to convince his loved ones that he’d won the lottery and that it wasn’t an April Fool’s prank! Simon says he intends to travel across Québec and treat himself.
VIDEO: Watch Simon Letiec receive the first installment of his lifetime annuity!
- What convinced Simon to purchase the $30 limited-edition Gagnant à vie ticket were the odds it offered—a 1 in 120,000 chance of winning $1,000 a week for life.
- Simon, who’s in his forties, had to choose between receiving the $1,000 a week for life annuity or the $1,000,000 lump-sum prize; he opted for the annuity, which he says will help him achieve long-term financial security.
- The lucky winner was not a stranger to lucky breaks, since his father had already won $100,000 with the Explosion lottery game in 2013 and had been a contestant on Roue de fortune in the 1990s!
The winning ticket was purchased at the Provi-Soir on Boulevard Wilfrid-Hamel Ouest in Quebec City.
- Lottery game: Gagnant à vie ($30 limited-edition ticket)
- Prize: $1,000 a week for life
- Category: Top prize
- Winner’s place of residence: Capitale-Nationale
- Retailer: Provi-Soir (7421 Boulevard Wilfrid-Hamel Ouest, Quebec City)
The retailer will receive a commission equal to 1% of the overall prize, i.e. $10,000.
Loto-Québec’s mission is to manage games of chance in an efficient and socially responsible way that promotes moderation and serves the best interests of Quebecers. Entertainment is at the heart of its activities. Between January 1 and April 17, 2022, Loto-Québec paid out 31 prizes of $1,000,000 or more to winners. The Gagnant à vie and Grande Vie lottery games have provided 7 lucky winners with a lifetime annuity. Major prize winners are listed on the Winners page of the Lotteries website.