Montréal, September 23, 2021—After finding the perfect pair of shoes, Peggy McDonald and Michel Lavoie went to the nearest lottery kiosk to buy a Lotto 6/49 ticket. The Chaudière-Appalaches couple ended up with a pair of shoes that were on sale and in a size that was hard to find as well with as a guaranteed prize of $1,000,000 in the September 4 draw.
- Peggy has a very small shoe size. That’s why she and her husband Michel crossed the bridge from Lévis to Quebec City and went to the Laurier Québec shopping centre in the hope of finding the perfect pair of shoes.
- Not only did Peggy find shoes that fit her, but the ones she liked were on sale. “You’ve won the jackpot!” said the salesperson with a laugh.
- The couple immediately thought about the Loto-Québec ads of the #YouShouldBuyA649 campaign and went to the lottery kiosk in the shopping centre to buy a Lotto 6/49 ticket.
- The day after the draw, Michel checked the Lotteries app while drinking a coffee. He started counting all the zeros of the $1,000,000 prize appearing on the screen. He checked the results three times before telling Peggy that they were millionaires, but she thought he was joking.
- After shouting for joy, Peggy asked, “What do we do now?”
- The winners have two boys. The prize money means that their children, now young adults, will be able to move ahead with certain projects and benefit from an unexpected leg-up.
- Close to retirement, Peggy and Michel also plan to make certain investments so that they can continue enjoying life. They’ll also be planning a trip.
- The couple is celebrating their 30th wedding anniversary. At the beginning of their relationship, Michel had told Peggy that one day they’d win the lottery. The prediction came true all because of a pair of shoes they had bought!
- The winning ticket was purchased at the lottery kiosk in the Laurier Québec shopping centre. The non-profit organization Patro de Lévis, which manages the point of sale, will receive a 1% commission of $10,000.
A video of the winners is available on the Loteries Loto-Québec YouTube channel (in French).
Lotto 6/49: Peggy and Michel win $1,000,000 online.
- Lottery: Lotto 6/49
- Prize: $1,000,000
- Category: Guaranteed prize
- Draw date: September 4, 2021
- Winners’ place of residence: Chaudière-Appalaches
- Retailer: Lottery kiosk at the Laurier Québec shopping centre (2700 Boulevard Laurier, Quebec City)
COVID-19: How to claim a prize
As part of the collective effort to stop the spread of COVID-19 and to protect the health and safety of its customers and employees, Loto-Québec’s prize claim offices in Montréal and Quebec City are open by appointment only. Winning ticket holders are invited to contact customer service. Under the current circumstances, the safest and most efficient way to claim a prize is still by mail. For more information on prize payment terms and conditions, please visit lotoquebec.com.
Loto-Québec’s mission is to responsibly and efficiently manage games of chance in a controlled and measured fashion in the interest of all Quebecers. Entertainment is at the heart of its activities. Between January 1 and September 19, 2021, Loto-Québec paid out 112 prizes of $1,000,000 or more. The Gagnant à vie and Grande Vie lottery games provided 16 lucky winners with a lifetime annuity. Major prize winners are listed on the Winners page of the Lotteries website.