Montréal, June 15, 2021 — When Erika Landry got to the cash at her pharmacy, she decided to give the $10 5X Fortune scratch ticket a try. And her decision paid off big time. On May 18, this winner from Chaudière-Appalaches claimed the $500,000 grand prize!
- Lottery game: 5X Fortune
- Prize: $500,000
- Category: Grand prize
- Claim date: May 18, 2021
- Winner’s place of residence: Chaudière-Appalaches
- Retailer: PJC – Jean Coutu (1995 Boulevard Dionne, Saint-Georges)
- Erika only plays the lottery on occasion and has a soft spot for Lotto 6/49 and certain scratch tickets. When she bought her first 5X Fortune ticket, she hadn’t played the lottery in a while.
- Without reading the rules of the game, she scratched her ticket and saw it was a winner, but she didn’t believe she’d actually won the grand prize.
- She was so rattled, she got her spouse to take a photo of the ticket and then she contacted her brother who plays this type of lottery game more frequently. She sent him the photo via several communication channels to make sure he could see the image properly, and he confirmed that she had indeed won.
- When she went back to the pharmacy where she’d bought the ticket, she asked the clerk who’d sold it to her to validate it. After a pause, the clerk confirmed that Erika had won, adding that there were too many zeros for her to be able to pay out the prize!
- The winner was still a bit in shock when she claimed her $500,000, and only allowed herself to believe her good fortune once she got the confirmation from Loto-Québec.
- Even though her retirement is several years down the road, Erika’s going to play it safe and set aside some of her winnings for that. She’s also looking forward to sharing some of her prize money with her spouse. And she’d like to use this unexpected windfall to treat herself to something special—yet to be determined!
COVID-19: How to claim a prize
As part of the collective effort to stop the spread of COVID-19 and to protect the health and safety of its customers and employees, Loto-Québec’s prize claim offices in Montréal and Quebec City are open by appointment only to ticket holders who’ve won a prize of $5,000 or more. For this reason, players who’ve won such a prize should contact Loto-Québec’s customer service team. Under the current circumstances, the safest and most efficient way to claim a prize is still by mail. For more information on prize payment terms and conditions, please visit lotoquebec.com.
Loto-Québec’s mission is to responsibly and efficiently manage games of chance in a controlled and measured fashion in the interest of all Quebecers. Entertainment is at the heart of its activities. Between January 1 and May 30, 2021, Loto-Québec paid out 57 prizes of $1,000,000 or more to winners. The Gagnant à vie and Grande Vie lotteries have provided 11 lucky winners with a lifetime annuity. Major prize winners are listed on the Winners page of the Lotteries website.